Bathe as You Mean to go On
Life can be hectic, so it’s important to take some time for yourself, to step away and unwind.
There is no better way to wind down than running yourself a warm bath and shutting out the world. Bathing relaxes both body and mind, and with the right preparation, you can turn it into a mini spa treatment:
1) Make sure the room is tidy! Your bathroom should be a calm and tranquil space. Ensure the room is clean and uncluttered; it's hard to relax and empty your mind if you are looking at piles of dirty washing or are surrounded by half empty product bottles.
2) Run your bath water to be a few degrees hotter than your body temperature, around 39 degrees is ideal. Ensure that you run it to a level where you can lie back in the bath and have your shoulders entirely covered. Immersing yourself to this level can aide deep muscle relaxation and even reduce tension and headaches.
3) Leave your phone outside and lock the door! Privacy is possibly the most important part of your spa experience. Having to hop out of the bath to deal with family demands or answer the phone will only make you even more tense. Make arrangements for some uninterrupted solitude and prepare to indulge.
4) Add your chosen bath tonic. We love a foaming bath packed with essential oils for a luxurious feel. Lavender, Bergamot or Jasmine are perfect to soothe your senses. Skin-moisturising oils can be added to the water to nourish your skin and make the pampered feeling last. Or perhaps a few good handfuls of Epsom salts if you have aching muscles.
5) Light a candle or oil burner with a scent that relaxes you. Aromas from bath foam are released as you pour and essential oils in candles or burners will continue to scent the air while you relax. The flickering flames from candles are also a great way to improve the ambience of the room.
6) Breathe. Close your eyes and take a few moments to breath in the scent and enjoy the warmth. Take long slow breaths through your nose, hold your breath for the count of three and then slowly exhale through your mouth to feel your worries drain away.
7) Lose yourself in your latest book or magazine to help you zone out of the day. Opt for a proper paper version and make the session a screen-free experience.
8) Pamper yourself. Hair masks, face masks and body scrubs are all perfect treatments to do in a bath. You’ll not only feel good after but look good too.
9) Have warm fluffy towels, a robe and slippers ready for when you finish your bath. Getting cosy straight away will mean that your body and your muscles retain the heat.
10) Finish by applying a rich body cream with sleep inducing extracts like lavender and rose before you climb into bed for a restful night.